Released January, 2003
The Pros:Bi-amplified - independent amps for woofer and tweeter. Flat frequency response ideal for monitoring/reference. Excellent reproduction of low and high frequencies.
The Cons:Lows cut-out at 50 Hz.
The Yamaha MSP5 studio powered monitor speakers are designed to give a flat frequency response ideal for studio recording and mixing. Along with the Yamaha MSP10 speakers, they replace the hugely popular Yamaha NS-10M monitor speakers widely used in the recording industry.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
Each speaker is independently bi-amplified, with a 40 Watt amp driving a 5" cone woofer and a 27 Watt amp powering a 1" titanium dome tweeter.
- powered reference monitor speaker
- frequency response: 50 Hz to 40 kHz
- mid/woofer: 12 cm (4.7") cone
- tweeter: 2.5 cm (1") titanium dome tweeter with waveguide horn with 120 degree high-frequency dispersion
- bi-amplified: 67 Watts total power (RMS)
- low-frequency amp: 40 Watts
- hi-frequency amp: 27 Watts
- a four position trim switch for the woofer (flat,+1.5 dB, -1.5dB, -3dB @ 60Hz)
- a three position trim switch for the tweeter (flat,+1.5 dB, -1.5dB @ 15kHz)
- dimensions: 6" x 10" x 6"
- weight: 7.5 kg (16.5 lbs) each
The Yamaha MSP5 is designed to be used as a reference monitor speaker for studio work and boasts a very flat frequency response all the way out to 40 kHz. Keep in mind the average human is only capable of detecting up to 20 kHz. There are two trim switches: 1) a four position trim for the woofer for a boost, cut, or flat response at 60 Hz, and 2) a three position trim for the tweeter for a boost, cut, or flat response at 15 kHz.
The Yamaha MSP5 were release around 2003 (exact date needed) and are sold as individual speakers each retailing for $250. Therefore, to get a stereo monitoring setup you'll have to pay around $500. Keep in mind, that each speaker contains two high-quality amplifiers, saving you the cost of an amplifier.
User Reviews (1)
Bi-amplified - independent amps for woofer and tweeter
Flat frequency response ideal for monitoring/reference
Excellent reproduction of low and high frequencies
Decent price considering the inclusion of two amplifiers per speaker
Better sounding than the NS10M for everyday listening
You may also like...